![]() |
| Ghost Guardians in NV, Photo Source |
I started
writing this post for you to give you an update about the ghost in our house, and
then I realized I’ve never told you about the ghost in our house! How awful of
me. I could have sworn that I’ve told this story to you before, but I can’t
find the post for the life of me, and now I’ve realized I’ve been remiss in my
duties to you, the reader. I’m so very sorry.
So now I
have to give you some background on the weirdest ghost in the history of ghosts.
Or, at least as far as I can tell. Maybe it’s an Elemental, like a Sylph. All I know is that it’s
relatively friendly. A happy ghost, if you will. None of us are scared of it.
I have a
theory: those who are raised in a household or area where ghosts are commonplace
discussion and completely acceptable are far more likely to actually see
ghosts. To which you likely will say, “Well, of course, Sarah. If it’s okay to believe,
and everyone around you believes, then you will believe as well.”
There’s
more, however. I believe the big kicker is that those who’ve seen something
very odd as children are much more likely to believe in ghosts. Those who never
saw anything out of the ordinary which could not be explained are far less
likely to believe as adults. This explains why I believe in ghosts and J—who believes
in aliens (I have a hard time with this, since to me, paranormal is paranormal,
and ghosts seem much more likely in this
world than aliens ever stopping by to visit)—does not support my ghost beliefs
or the weird shit the kids have seen, in any way.
So, while J
will not say to our faces that he thinks we’re bat-shit crazy, he mocks us
about what he calls the ‘ghostesses’. You’ll just have to imagine the creepy Hitchcock
voice he uses. Also, keep in mind, this is a man who got so freaked out when I took
him to the Spooklight
near my hometown and a black cat crossed the dirt road in front of us in the night
that he screamed at politely asked me to take him home immediately.
![]() |
| Spooklight Road, aka Devil's Promenade; Photo Source |
See? I grew
up near the Spooklight. J did not. I grew up near Civil War battlefields and cemeteries.
J grew up near McDonald-Douglass. I believe in ghosts. He believes in aliens. Theory
proven.
I’ve seen
some weird shit in my day, but the things that go on in my house right now are
some of the weirdest. It started a couple of months after we moved in with
bright flashes of blue light. They always seemed to come from outside our back
patio door. Once it happened while I was outside in the front of the house. Everyone
in this house has seen these lights- J included. They are not headlights, or
shooting stars, or alien ships. And, the oddest part: they only really seem to
occur in the fall and winter.
Yep, our
ghost is seasonal.
After the
lights had been going on while, the ghost upped the ante. We started getting
cold spots about two to three feet off the ground, again, at the back of the
house. Then, after that, we started to have books randomly fall off the
bookshelves in our bedroom. And I mean that we’re sitting downstairs (all of
us, including the dog) and then we hear big thumps above our heads, and then we
go upstairs, and a half-dozen books are now off the shelves and on the floors.
Then K started seeing a shadow in his room. Then his closet light became
capable of turning itself on and off in the night. Then, one time, his backpack
was emptied and his books and binders found themselves in about six places
across the room.
The biggest
feats of ghostliness came about in the winter before last. First, there was the
time the ghost decided to join movie night. We were all sitting in the living room,
watching a movie, and directly above me (I was laying on the loveseat) I
clearly heard someone say, “Hey!” Both of the boys heard it, the dog heard it
and started barking at the corner of the ceiling above me, and I heard it. J
swears he did not. And it’s important to note that this wasn’t a mean,
menacing, “Hey! I plan to murder you in your sleep!” It was more like, “Hey!
Pass the popcorn, would ya?”
Then there
was the wrought iron family tree on top of the bookshelf in our bedroom which shook
for countless minutes. Of its own volition. J was certain we were having an earthquake
(instead of a ghost incident) until he finally got out of bed and walked over
to the bookshelf, and placed his hand on it. Then it stopped. This is the only occurrence
J will admit to experiencing.
So, now you
know more about the ghost. Or Sylph. Or whatever it is. Except there’s one more story to tell. And
that’s when I banished the thing from our house.
Last
Thanksgiving, after J’s grandmother died, he was finishing a few things up at
work while I packed our bags. I was gathering items from all three bedrooms,
but every time I’d come back to my own, where I’d pack the suitcases on my bed,
there’d be books out from the bookshelf again. After the fourth or fifth time,
I was frustrated. I was sad, packing to do something that none of us want to
do, and fed up with the books on the floor. “ENOUGH ALREADY! I don’t have time
for this shit! Stop it!”
It did stop.
For the entire winter we were ghost-shenanigans-free. Not a light, not a book,
not a cold spot to be found. There was no Sophie barking at corners or wagging
her tail for no apparent person. It was actually kind of lonely in the house. I came to regret demanding that the ghostesses
leave. As much as I hate to say this, I didn’t exactly like the idea of causing
some elemental who wasn’t doing us any harm to flee.
But now, that
seems to have changed. I think we may have our Sylph back in residence…and yes,
I am going all ‘to-be-continued’ on you here! Mwah-ha-ha-ha! Check back on Friday
for the newest update to the story!
Do you believe in ghosts? And
what do you think of my theory? If you believe, did you see something in
childhood as well?


Now I know what a Sylph is. Don't feel bad about banishing it, it was being mischievous during a time of grief. Ghosts need boundaries too.
ReplyDeleteI love the idea that your ghost is seasonal, that during the summer, it's like, "ugh, it's too hot here, back to Ghostlandia. Ta-ta until Fall."
When I was a teenager, the thing to do was go to this abandoned barn and wait for the ghostly sounds of the cows that died there. We all called it "Scary Dairy." Ghost people is one thing, but ghost cows? That's some scary stuff. You can't reason with ghost cows.
Bwah-ha-ha! Scary Dairy! I want to go there!
DeleteI don't really believe in ghosts. Then again, the older I get, the less likely I am to dismiss anything as impossible.
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to train your Sylph to do laundry or windows? :)
That would be great, wouldn't it? I think windows may be possible, but laundry would be a stretch. I might have to get a water nymph for laundry...
DeleteOf course, Brownies will help keep your whole household clean and running smoothly as long as you feed them cereal, I've been told. Forget to feed them, though, and there are major problems.
I feed my kids cereal and they do nothing. That is crap. Can't wait for the continuation!
ReplyDeleteI feed the children cereal and they do nothing, too. I really only think it pertains to mythical creatures of the Celtic tradition!
DeleteAlso the unknown comment is totally me, @sarcasmically.
ReplyDelete