I was in bed
exceptionally early last night, which meant that I was out of bed exceptionally
early this morning. I love it when this happens. I enjoy being the only one
awake in the morning, drinking my coffee, watching the news, preparing for a
busy day ahead. I enjoy walking outside in the early morning, and greeting the
sun as it rises. It was still dark when I stepped outside, and the moon hung
close to the western horizon, full and fat and yellow.
It was then
that I walked into a firestorm I have never experienced before.
There were
four of them. It was dark enough that I could not tell what sex they all were,
but there was one who was heavily pregnant, so obviously one of them was
female. They were causing quite the commotion, and all in our front yard. They
were fighting and screaming at one another. I was surprised that I had not
heard this upon first waking, but then again, perhaps I had, and this, in part,
was what caused me to awake earlier than expected. I was surprised that no
other individual in our neighborhood had woken up to this commotion, and came
outside to see what was going on. I was the only one on the street who was
outside, witnessing this.
The fight
moved from our front yard and into the street in front of our house. Then it
began to swing back into our yard, and stalled in the driveway, on top of J’s
car. They screamed at one another, but I could not tell what the allegations were. They were chasing each other- fighting with
one another, but I could not tell even which one had been the aggressor in this
act of violence.
I stood
there in shock, directly in front of the door, not knowing what to do. It was
happening so fast, and yet it seemed as if it were stretching out for hours. I
hadn’t had the chance to even have my coffee yet, and here I was, facing a
major problem with no caffeine to bring the cogs of my mind into motion. The
fight continued, until three of them had one (a male, I believe) backed into
the willow tree in our yard, where they pummeled him.
It was then
that he let out a high, piercing scream. They all stopped, and slowly swung
around to look directly at me.
I secretly, desperately,
hoped that just my presence would be enough to stop the fight and disperse the
four of them.
That was not
the case, however. In a matter of about three seconds, the four of them decided
to fly directly at me.
And this was
how I found myself physically attacked by four robins at six in the morning. This
morning.
![]() |
| They look safe... but they're not! Photo Credit |

Oooooo. I bet one was nosing around a nest. Protecting those babies. Clearly you were in the way. 25 feet away was "in the way" in bird vision.
ReplyDeleteI love how they decided to band together to attack me once they were found out. Ah, the other guy wasn't so bad once they knew I was on the scene. The problem is, they are apparently playing house in our willow tree, which is about ten feet away form both of our cars... I suspect this will be a recurring event...
DeleteLAWD, for a second I had visions of that old Hitchcock movie "The Birds". So glad you made it back inside alive!!!
ReplyDeleteHAHA! Also, HOLY CRAP
ReplyDeletePs. I love that photo. And by "love" I mean "extraordinarily jealous of that photographer"
I know, right (to both the Holy Crap! and also the insane jealousy of the photographer)?
Delete