It’s one of
the most expensive and time consuming things that a parent has to do: feeding
the children. The suckiest part is that they expect you to feed them EVERY
SINGLE DAY. Sometimes more than once! Why didn’t other parents warn us about
this potential landmine before we had kids? Good grief.
When those little
bundles first come into our lives, they are easy to feed. For the first six
months (unless you have children like mine, who were both up to 80 (yes, eighty)
ounces of formula within the first month and had to be put on food early, since
they started losing weight) you have the breast or the bottle. It’s not the
most convenient, I know (colic, cluster feeding, judgmental strangers, you name
it) but at least you know what they are eating each day, how much they are
eating, and all that jazz.
Even after
six months, feeding your children can be fun. Cereal time? Photo op! First
veggie? Photo op! Look at me meticulously mashing up this banana! Look how
happy that baby is to eat something other than formula or breast milk!
Then it all
starts to go to hell… and you begin to wonder what you are supposed to do. I’m
here to help, folks.
The Toddler Years: “NO!”
Your child
has become a demon. Literally, she is possessed. She says no to everything throughout
the day, but absolutely refuses to eat anything you place in front of her. She may
have even found cookies, from some well-intentioned stranger or grandmother. You
have no idea how you are going to go about cramming calories into that little
body, so that she can live to fight and scream “NO!” or “I do it!” at you
another day.
![]() |
| Yeah, he's spitting that out. pmeidinger |
There was a
period of time where the only thing K would eat is saltine crackers, cereal
bars, yogurt, and apple juice. This went on for months. I finally broke down
with his pediatrician (who had five children of his own) about how I was afraid
he was going to die from malnutrition. To which Dr. S. responded with, “Meh. No
he won’t. Give him a Flintstone’s if you’re that worried, but he’ll eat when he’s
hungry again.”
That man was
right on the money. K eventually began eating real food (like meat and bread
and cheese) when he was four. And he didn’t die. Your kid won’t die either, and
there’s no use arguing with a toddler. Just give them the damn yogurt.
The Preschool Years: Plate Pushing
They no
longer scream no at you, but they whine about every freaking dinner you make,
unless it’s mac and cheese. The fact that they are finally eating mac and
cheese (miracle of miracles) has lost its warm, fuzzy feeling. And when they’re
not whining, they are pushing that food around on their plate, trying to make a
work of art that will distract you from the fact they did not eat the broccoli.
You catch on
quickly, but then they up the ante. It becomes an arms race that puts the Cold
War to shame.
You beg, you
bargain, you cajole, and you bribe. You may even count bites. None of that
works. You want to know what does work? Ignoring it. Seriously. Put the food on
the plate. Don’t pay attention to if they eat it or not. And do not offer
anything else for them to eat. You’re not a short order cook. It takes about
three days for them to decide that something is better than nothing.
If they are
very stubborn (as my children tend to be) and they still won’t eat supper after
a week of ignoring their full plate, then when they whine tell them that they
can make their own dinner, since you’re only going to be making one that
evening. Then make it impossible for them to make their own dinner. You can be creative
here—hide the snacks. Make sure they know the stove is off limits. All’s fair
in food wars. Soon they will give up on this crazy quest, and start placing
something you’ve prepared in their mouths. I promise.
The School-Age Years: Normal People Don’t Make Bento Box School
Lunches
The kiddo is
off to kindergarten, and you think the school lunches may be suspect. You want
to pack their lunch AND you want to prove to your husband that Pinterest has
some useful purpose in your lives. So you buy the bento boxes and a million
little foods to cram pack in there. Then, by no later than week two, you
realize that you’re spending a small fortune and the twenty minutes it takes
you to assemble that puppy is twenty minutes you could actually be spending on
Pinterest.
![]() |
| This is NOT NORMAL. |
Please don’t
think you are going to cut out your child’s sandwich into zoo shapes with fun
cookies cutters until they hit middle school. If it’s old for you, it’s getting old for
them. Please don’t think that you have to make a special veggie chili for them
to nosh on at school. And, for the love of God, please realize that they have
25 minutes, at most, for both lunch and recess. Unless you are raising a future
foodie (like I am with Ant), at least 20 of those minutes are going to be spent
on the playground in nice weather. Cut up fruit. Make quick sandwiches. Better yet,
place crackers, cheese and three small slices of ham in there. Throw in some
hummus, pita bread, and pepper strips. Go for the boxed juice or milk (the
thermos WILL LEAK) and cut down on the mess. Make it easy.
And know
that they will not be taking a packed lunch by fourth grade. It’s just not
going to happen, no matter how hard you try.
The Junk Food Years: Better Start Saving Now
You just
went shopping three days ago, spent $150, and now the refrigerator is empty. Even
the pot roast is missing. What the hell happened? Well, I hate to break it to
you, but you have one (or more—depending on how much you spend at the store per
week) teenage boy. And he likely ate the roast raw, so watch him for e-coli.
Not only does
your teenage son eat like a sumo wrestler, he’s eating the most random shit you
can imagine. On Monday, he eats an entire box of cereal after school. Tuesday
means that he found the hidden Easter candy, and then tells you that you’ll
need to buy more for the baskets. On Wednesday, he ate three packets of Easy Mac
and then eight chicken breast patties. You celebrate, because you see the
cookie sheet that he stuck them on still in the oven. On Thursday he just eats
peanut butter straight from the jar until it’s gone.
I shit you
not. You’ll consider master locking the pantry and chaining the refrigerator.
It’s important
at this time to label (in Sharpie, so he can’t rub it off) the things in the fridge
that are needed for meals (for the rest of you—he’ won’t be hungry for dinner,
after foraging for an hour after school), and then perhaps even make a special shelf
in the pantry that he’s allowed to attack each day after school. But most of
all, accept that it’s going to happen this way. Especially if he’s in sports.
Teen girls are
no laughing matter, however, and I refuse to joke about this part. If she stops
eating, you need to be careful. Or if she binges after school, won’t really eat
supper, and then wants to exercise, watch her behaviors. I am of the mind that
body image issues and eating disorders are much more prevalent (in both guys and
girls) than we like to believe, and we need to help our teens find the right balance
at this time. You have Google; learn a bit about the warning signs of an eating
disorder. If you suspect one, take her to a doctor (I suggest avoiding the pediatrician
on this one- find someone with experience in this type of thing) and have a
professional back you up. Teens don’t like listening to any adults, but they are
more likely to listen to a doctor than their parent.
Finally:
A few last
words of advice:
Realize that
every single child is different. You may have a picky eater and a natural-born
health nut. They may switch their roles after several years. I know that this
happened to my kids.
Realize that
they may do something new and unexpected that is not covered here, or anywhere
else. Children and eating habits is a no-man’s land of unexpected traits and
surprises. Try to roll with it.
Realize that
their tastes are completely different than yours—due to personality AND
biology. Don’t try to fight over personal taste—you will not beat personality
and biology. They will always beat you. Always. Save your energy for something
more important, like piercings, or miniskirts.
![]() |
| This is what we're trying to avoid, people! raidthafridge.com |



Omg!! I'm only got one almost toddler and one I-want-chicken-and-chips preschooler. Thank goodness they both eat broccoli. This account is spot on, lady. And now I'm set for the future.
ReplyDeleteI aim to please!!!
DeleteLOL!! Love it... I forgot what a joy feeding a Small small is... Until newest small child arrived.
ReplyDeleteOh is this ever true. I don't think my seven year old has eaten a fruit or a veg this year.
ReplyDeleteDon't you wonder how they survive? I have always wondered how these children survive on the random things they will eat (or not eat)!
DeleteAlthough not a parent myself, I can't help but chuckle at this post. (And feel a little bad for what my own parents must've gone through!)
ReplyDeleteVisiting from your blog link in the Midwest Writers group on S30P!
There have been so many times where I've called up my mom and apologized for what I did during childhood, after my kids have done something infuriating. She just laughs and laughs.
DeleteIt's the circle of life, really.
You KILL me! You nailed every single solitary phase of childhood eating perfectly! I'm currently trying to avoid a second mortgage every time I hit the grocery. Feeding two teenage boys is akin to trying to paying for their college education.
ReplyDeleteShit. They'll hit college while they're still teenagers. I'd better start saving now!
Be afraid. Be very afraid. I saw what J ate in college. I cannot even begin to imagine it getting worse, but it will.
DeleteThanks, this is awesome.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I believe I was promised some Mac & Cheese?
We'll be having some tomorrow, in fact, as part of Easter dinner! I won't do food battles on holidays.
Delete