I don’t talk
about my work on my blog, and when I do, it’s usually to say that I don’t talk
about my work on my blog. There are two reasons for this; the first being the
most important: I never want to discuss something that might violate student
privacy law (FERPA). I work with graduate students at my job—I am their
advisor. I am on the front lines. I advise from the time they apply to the
program through to their commencement. I answer questions of every sort and
variety—some of which are completely non-academic in nature. I never want to
compromise the students’ trust or my university’s trust in me. The second
reason is also important, though not nearly as important as the first: I do not
want to present a conflict of interest to my job on my blog. I never want to be
construed as giving insider or false information as to how things are done. By working at a public institution of higher
education, I am a state employee, and there are certain responsibilities that
come with being a state employee.
Both of
these things, in my mind, are more than enough reason to never discuss my work
outside of my office. I don’t even share much of what I do at work with my
husband, except in the broadest of terms.
Yet… You
knew there was a “But,” coming, right? I was disturbed last week when I watched
the President’s State of the Union Address. He made an off-handed comment about
how higher education keeps charging higher and higher tuition and hurting American
families and the nation. It received a standing ovation, if I remember
correctly. It smarted to hear him say this, since the university I work at is
currently in a budget battle with our state’s governor. Then again, we’re
always in a budget battle, it seems, with the governor and the state legislature.
The long and
the short of it is this: I believe that state schools do not receive enough
money from the government to actually run the schools, in today’s economic
climate. I’ll make my case to this point later, because it’s important to
issues like higher tuition rates. My contention is that if we received the
governmental money, there would be less discussion of tuition hikes.
This belief,
combined with some alarming stories I’ve been hearing from friends who work at universities
(I’ve worked at three in my life—a top tier research institution, a private
school of some renown, and a large second tier state school) and the troubles their
campuses face has led me to think that most Americans truly have no concept of
what goes on in administering a university. This is troubling to me for three
reasons—first, the vast majority of us have either attended college and graduate
school, or we plan to send our kids to college and graduate school. The second
reason is that we all pay taxes that support higher education. The third is
that the professionals that we rely on each and every day (our doctors, our
children’s teachers, our lawyers- when we need them, our tax preparers) have
received their education and preparation for their job at a college or university.
The
university is an important place. If Americans understood what is going on, I
have to think that they’d be more likely to support higher education. As it
stands right now, colleges and universities seem like the go-to for politicians
who are looking to bash something during an election year, and they can do this
carte blanche because the public is not as informed as they could be.
I feel as if
I am in a unique position to shed some light on the subject of the university,
since I’ve worked at three different institutions in varying capacities and
also am preparing to send a kid to college in a couple of years. Yeah—that’s
right—a couple of years. Close enough to be discussing the ACT and college
visits, and letters of rec and first choice schools and all the rest.
Plus, I want
to shed some light on the subject. There are a lot of things that occur at a university
which are irreplaceable. Education is one of our society’s greatest social institutions.
So, my goal
is to present you with some common knowledge—no insider trading, but common
knowledge, you could look it up on Google or the news if you really wanted to—so
that you understand the challenges that universities face in education and the
challenges parents and students can face in attaining higher education. One of
the first things I want to discuss is where all the money comes from. The next
would be to give you a general idea of where all the money goes and why. Then
we can talk about the difference between different types of institutions, and
the responsibilities of a faculty member, and the like. I like to think that what
we do is very important, worthy of respect and support, and I hope that I can
convince you of that, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment