K is my
early riser. I don’t know where he got these genes, because no one else in my family
possesses them, but he’s always up before me. On school mornings, he’s likely
to be watching a documentary on the History channel while leisurely eating his
breakfast at the kitchen table when I stumble out of bed. Doesn’t exactly fit
in with his brooding teenager visage, now does it?
Yesterday
morning, as I was struggling to keep my eyes open wide enough to ensure the
coffee actually got in the coffeemaker; K was watching a documentary on the
Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Through the monotonous drone of how farmers
settled America’s heartland, received free land and began growing wheat, and
the competition versus Russia to be the world’s bread basket after World War
One, one tiny, offhand quote caught my attention and woke me up. It was from Herbert
Hoover, and he was responding to farmers on the Great Plains who watched (with
the crashing stock market of 1929) as the price of wheat plummeted from $3 per
bushel down to only forty cents per bushel. They pleaded with the White House
for help, and the response the farmers received from Hoover was that the free
market would take care of it. Hoover would not intervene.
Capitalism
had it under control, according to Hoover. Except it didn’t. And it got worse
when the Dust Bowl hit the next year.
Lack of
governmental intervention did nothing, and it was only the New Deal and major reforms
and World War Two that got our country out of that economic mess.
*
Hearing that
quote made me actually formulate an opinion on the #OccupyWallStreet protests.
I had been hesitant to do so before, because everything I had seen thus far had
been so conflicted. Pro: Americans (who I generally consider to be apathetic
when it comes to civic matters) are out protesting, and making their voices heard!
Con: It doesn’t look like they have a cohesive message or potential solutions.
Pro: Different groups are rallying together to strengthen their campaigns! Con:
It doesn’t appear that the media or the politicians take them seriously. Pro: I
consider myself to be part of the 99%! Con: You cannot actually help someone
who does not want help.
If you don’t
have a clear message, if you don’t have a potential solution, and if you cannot
garner some attention, then what can you do? Except, as Hoover shows us—you cannot
sit back and do nothing.
As far as I can
tell, #OccupyWallStreet is not complaining about the lack of intervention, but the
unwillingness to help, the willful refusal to reform. There has been help—just applied
to the wrong places, and I think this is where the arguments arise. We bailed out the banks. We will bail out the agribusinesses
that lost crops in disasters this year. We sometimes feel bad and chuck some
money at unemployment—which does reach the 99%, but most of the time, we do not
help. We assume that the free market will take care of the people. We routinely bail out corporations and the super-rich
(taxes, infrastructure, placating them with anything we have just for them to
keep their measly plants here and save a few jobs).
Yet, who is helping
me? Is a Social Security tax rate decrease helping me? Not really. I don’t even
plan to see Social Security when I retire, and I’m sure decreasing its funding
doesn’t help. I’m equal opportunity—I don’t feel as if I can bank on my pension
or my investments, either. I am seriously considering following my
great-grandmother’s plan, which was to hide entire drawers of cash in five
different safe deposit boxes in her hometown, and stock the cellar with as much
canned good as she could squeeze in there.
She was a
bride of the Great Depression, you know.
Unemployment
would not feed my family and keep the lights on if I lost my job. The bank
would not take pity on me, despite the fact that the taxpayers/legislators took
pity on the banks. I would not get a golden parachute or a bail out or expect
to see my debt forgiven and then have a record-breaking year of profits right around
the corner. No one concerns themselves with the amount of money I am paid for
my work, and yet, despite the fact that the last time gas was this expensive a
barrel of crude cost over $140, it stopped trading this week at only $87. The
government is propping up the oil companies, and not its own people.
This isn’t,
in my mind, a matter of Democrats or Republicans (so no comments against either,
or I will delete them). This isn’t a matter Presidents versus Congresses, or lobbyists
versus everyone but their own interests. This is a matter of having enough
people stand up and say,
“This is not working for me anymore. I am not happy. I am worried
all of the time. My children will not be better off than I am. I am not
realizing my American Dream. I work hard, but life shouldn’t be THIS hard.
Capitalism doesn’t not care for the people; it only cares for the profit-drive.”
Once enough
of us stand up and say this, once we acknowledge that unrestricted capitalism
is not required for democracy, once we are actually ready to have a real and meaningful
conversation about it, then we can actually move to do something about it.
I am willing
to stand up and say it now.
Awesome. I really admire how you said these things without mud slinging...I hope, when my blog post on this topic is done brewing, that I can do the same. Thanks for speaking out, for standing up, and for caring...love it. :)
ReplyDelete