Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Whacked Wednesday: I break one of the ‘don’t speak of’ rules…

I avoid politics like the plague. On a side note, it cracks up those who know me in real life that I will say something along the lines of, “I avoid getting sick like the plague.” No lie. I can’t help it. I love to work the word ‘plague’ into everyday conversation.

So, I avoid the politics like the plague; outside of my own house, that is. Inside my own house I indoctrinate my children in a manner that would make any totalitarian dictator proud. They make it easy—since they already tend to agree with me. It must be all of that Jon Stewart I ‘force’ them to watch.

So, why tackle politics now? Because I think the universe is trying to tell me something. The world was supposed to end the day before my wedding anniversary. The Joplin tornado actually hit on my wedding anniversary. The nation is set to default on my birthday. I think the universe is saying something along the lines of, “Hello! Sarah! Are you paying attention? It’s time for you to get off your butt and help fix this shit!”

I thought I would introduce a little bit of humor before tackling the festering, anger-inspiring topic of debt ceilings. The only way I really know how to fix something like a debt ceiling is to give my opinion on it.

Here’s the long and the short of it: Someone better explain to me (all, of us, actually) why the richest of the rich need their tax cuts while the rest of us deal with the nation defaulting, the lack of jobs, the cuts in social services, the prospect of no safety net (Social Security and Medicare are pipe dreams for my generation—I’ll work until I’m dead), and other items that I see impacting the largest majority of us Americans-- but more importantly, the impoverished. Me and mine? We will find a way to survive. We’re only living on the edge. What about those who slipped off the edge long ago? What will they do?

Oh, and the ‘prospect’ of more jobs just won’t cut it. I’m old enough to remember ‘trickle down economics’, and I’m not a fool. I know the cousin of trickle down when I see it. It doesn’t work. We all know it.

There are children starving in our country, and families living on the streets. Millions have lost their jobs, their homes, or taken care of loved one who have. I cannot seem to reconcile the fact that a small subset of the Republican Party finds it necessary to cut social services and keep the Bush tax cuts and in the same breath, many of these conservative Republicans are the same ones who tout Christian principles.

Except the Good Samaritan parable, I’m guessing. 

Not to say that I’m actually pleased with the Democrats, either. They’ve taken compromise too far; bending over backwards is not compromise. Asking for one little thing (it is only raising taxes on one percent of the population, after all—and I’m fairly certain the oil companies are doing fine, with their $3.55/ gallon gas) and conceding dozens of others is not compromise. It’s foolish. Still, they smell better in this scenario compared to the handful of Republicans who are bound and determined to undermine our nation’s financial security.

It’s time to be angry (I wish more Congressmen were angry right about now), and when I get upset about something, I’m going to do more than call my representative.  Plus, I’m fairly certain that they already recognize my phone number on the caller id. I take a very active role in the governing of my country.

I am happy to hear that others are calling, however. I’m glad to see others voice their concerns to those who are supposed to represent us in our government.

I know that I’m not the only one who is upset. I’ve watched and read and listened to the news over the past few days, and it sounds like—to me, at least—that there are a lot of people who are just fed up. No one voted these individuals into Congress to make a dangerous stand. They voted them into Congress to make a difference; to make all of our lives better. Quit bickering and posturing and get to work! Sheesh! None of us could behave as badly at our jobs as they do and expect to remain employed.

So, what am I going to do? I have a couple of ideas. The first one is this: If you agree with any part of this post (Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative, white or black or purple, I don’t care), please say something. I’m not asking you to share my exact opinions, and I’m not asking you to take my diatribe as your own, but I do want something to go viral; something to get the message across. If you’ve found someone who addresses the situation and the frustration we all feel better than I have, please feel free to share it here, or with me via email. I’m not all that creative, and I know it. The fact of the matter is something must get their attention now. I don’t care if it’s me, you, or intergalactic visitors bringing us friendship and peace-- just as long as SOMETHING gets their attention.

Second, I’m thinking of starting a new weekly topic. I’ll call it Whacked Wednesdays. As in, “I’m a child of the eighties, and we used to listen to Kris Kross, and this shit is whack, but not in a good way.” I’ll discuss all the stupid things that are occurring around us, making life just a little less meaningful. So we can fix it, folks! I don’t know if I will do it every Wednesday, but I think I’ll give it a shot.

So, feel free to submit your ideas for Whacked Wednesdays via email. If I like your idea, I’ll tackle it. I can’t promise that I’ll do the best of jobs, by any means, but at least I’ll be sincere. Which I feel is more than we can say about many of our Congressional members as of late.

3 comments:

  1. I know it's sometimes hard in blogland to write about politics, but I commend you for speaking your piece. After all, it's a part of who you are and this is your space to say what you want. I am also impressed by the fact that you actually call your elected representatives to voice your opinion. Too many people - myself included - think that complaining to their partner is an acceptable substitute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be the one who really only voiced my opinion to my spouse, but when the kids got older, that changed. As I was teaching them about our rights and responsibilities (let me tell you, I got a lot of dirty looks when I would take them in the voting booth with me!), I realized the only way I could set the example I wanted to was by calling my representatives, going out of my way to be proactive, etc. I don't expect it to work for everyone (I don't expect every 14 year old to care), but it does work for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giving you a virtual high-five. I was having trouble wrapping my head around this debt crisis because I'm blinded by the orange senator and his irritating quips. But perhaps I will write as well. The more voices the better, right? Thanks for breaking your politics rule.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...