![]() |
| In this picture he's 2. I'm 19. |
Last week,
Mommalogues posted a series of video clips where big name and celebrity bloggers
weighed in on the question, “What
advice would you give a teen mom?” I watched with interest. It’s not the
first time I’ve admitted it; I was a
teen mom. I’m also not bashful about admitting
it was a tough slog. Sadly, I was a bit upset by the responses I saw these bloggers
give in their videos. It’s not that they were rude, or malicious, or judgmental
(at least, not intentionally). It was that there were several women who had not
been teen moms weighing in, and to a certain extent, missing the mark.
While teen
mothers should be treated like other mothers in every way possible, the advice
that would apply to a new mother in her 30s does not necessarily apply to a
mother in her teens. This is an important distinction. Granted, teen pregnancy is
on the decline nationally, and across all ethnicities. Teen motherhood,
however, is still prevalent in certain areas of our nation—particularly rural
and urban areas—and giving the right kind of advice and the right kind of
support is imperative.
I got to
thinking that perhaps some teen moms would actually like to hear advice from
another teen mom. Someone who knows what they are facing, and has faced it and
lived to tell the tale. So, instead of six videos which reiterate that a teen
mom needs to put her baby first and get as much help as she can, let me provide
some of the tips I wish someone would have shared with me.
Know what prevents pregnancy, and
double up.
I got
pregnant while using birth control, but the truth is most teens do not know
enough about how to prevent pregnancy. Teens—you
need to know how to prevent pregnancy, and you need to know it before you plan
on engaging in sexual behaviors. It’s best to talk to a doctor or a nurse
about it. Don’t rely on your friends. Don’t even rely on your family, unless
your family member is a healthcare professional. Talk to a doctor. Ladies, you
can speak to a doctor about your sexual health with privacy. You can get birth control
from numerous places, including Planned Parenthood, clinics, and health
departments. You can, and must, be in charge of your reproductive health. And
just so you know, the CDC recommends that you double up on birth control. Using
the pill AND condoms would have likely prevented my pregnancy, it prevents
failures in one method of birth control, and it also prevents the transmission
of disease.
Know as much as you can about
everything pregnancy and baby.
If you are pregnant,
make sure you read everything about pregnancy and childbirth and newborns/infants
that you can get your hands on. Older mothers can feel excited about their
pregnancies and even more confident with themselves than teens and this often
translates into reading and preparing in every way possible. You should do the
same. Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor(s) questions. Don’t be afraid to ask other
mothers. Educate yourself. Knowing what
to expect, and knowing when there may be a problem is the most important way
you can keep you and your baby safe from harm. Your body will be changing,
and the best way to ensure that these changes don’t scare you is to know what’s
going on. The same goes for childbirth—it’s scary for any new mother—and you
want to be prepared. When it comes to newborns, you should really make sure you
know your stuff. Newborns are difficult, and while you cannot be prepared for
everything that may happen (children will always surprise you), the more you
know, the better parent you will be and the better you will feel about it.
Develop a thick skin.
Okay, let’s
be blunt. There are some people who are
going to be rude to you. They are going to say insensitive things. They may
mean to, or it may be unintentional, but you are going to be judged, and you
are going to get your feelings hurt. You do not have time to go head to
head with everyone, and you do not have the energy to educate everyone about
your situation. I wish this wasn’t the case, but it just is. Some people are hell-bent
on being rude, and others just don’t understand that what they’re saying cuts
deep. You need to learn to pick your battles (if someone acts threatening to
you or your child—and yes, this includes the father of the child or your family),
you have the right to calmly and firmly stand up for yourself. Otherwise, get
yourself a thick skin and let the judgment and insensitivities roll off of you.
You have more important things to do than to let these individuals get you
down.
Surround yourself with the right
kind of people.
Another
blunt truth—you are going to lose friends. I’m sorry. This can even happen to
mothers in their twenties and thirties. People
are in different stages in their lives at different times. You are now a
mother. Some of your friends are not going to be able to deal with that.
That being said, you can surround yourself with supportive people. You may be
able to work out a deal with a parent or other family member to allow you to go
out with your friends or baby’s father once a week for a fun evening. My mother
pushed me to do this—Friday nights were my night to be a teenager again, and
she would watch my son. Sometimes you can find friends who are willing to do
child-related things with you and your baby. I had a wonderful group of friends
in college that did not mind watching Disney movies and ordering in or always
meeting at my house for girl-time after my son was in bed. Sometimes you can
even find a support group of other teen mothers who understand exactly what you
are dealing with and can provide support.
Have a Plan B and a Plan C.
Ladies—you may
have the best of intentions when it comes to anything like studying for school,
getting the baby to the sitter’s before work, or going out with your friends,
but sooner or later, something is going to come up with the baby and you’re
going to be out of luck. The baby is sick, the babysitter bails, the car stops
working, the weather acts up, anything. Always,
ALWAYS, think of a plan B. Have a backup plan—it happens to all of us
sooner or later, and it will happen to you. If something on your schedule absolutely
has to be done (like you have to study for a test at school, let’s say), make
sure to think of a backup plan. Sometimes it seems like the universe is messing
with people who don’t have a backup plan, but the honest truth is that if you
have a plan B and a plan C, you have a much better chance of getting done
everything you plan to get done. This could mean something as large as finishing
high school and going to college, or even something as simple as getting the
bottles washed by the end of the evening with a colicky baby.
Believe in yourself.
This is
going to be a tough road. Being a teen, a student, a mother, and perhaps even
an employee at the same time is a lot. You know you are working hard—and you
should also know how awesome you are for doing it. You love your baby. You have
made a choice to be all of these things at once because you felt it was the
right thing for you. You are working hard to care for your child and for
yourself. You will not always be perfect—you are human—but you can do this. Believe
in yourself—you are your biggest advocate and your child’s biggest advocate in
this world. You will need to remind yourself of this many times throughout the next
several years—when someone says something hurtful, when something doesn’t work
according to plan, when there’s a roadblock or a setback. You can do this. You will overcome obstacles. You can be a loving
mother and a good student and a good employee. I know you can do it. I put
myself through college with a child in tow. I earned a master’s degree. I got a
good job that I love and with excellent benefits and a wonderful boss. These
things are possible for you! Do not settle, do not let others drag you down,
and do not berate yourself. This can be tough, but if you believe in yourself,
you will accomplish what you set out to do.
Are you or were you a teen
mother? How did you feel about the videos at Mommalogues? What advice would you
give a teen mother today?

Now that's interesting. I wasn't a teen mom, I was a 20's and 30's mom. I wrote a post advising would-be mothers to just get like one book (what to expect...) about babies...and then STOP. Because the fear-mongering is deep in strong in teh baby business. And endless list of things that will damage your child that will not actually damage your child.
ReplyDeleteDo you think that is a difference between teen moms and older moms? Do teens need the extra info even if it makes them more frightened because they lack the life experience an older mom would have? I'm really interested to hear your response.
Yes, I do think there's a difference between teen moms and moms in their thirties, and I think the extra info can help many teen moms feel more comfortable about what's going on. I do understand your perspective, however.
ReplyDeleteI was an only child with no siblings; I was clueless. I also had a doctor who wouldn't address any statement or question to me-- only to my mother (he literally wouldn't speak to me during office visits). I felt very alone. Reading up and preparing myself gave me more confidence. When I thought something was wrong (that I had a fever) during labor, I knew to speak up to a nurse, and get antibiotics. That could have very well saved my and my son's lives. At the very least, it staved off a nasty infection. I felt more comfortable in my own abilities by reading up.
Wait a second, if you're giving advice to teen moms, wouldn't the prevention part be extraneous? As a non-teen non-mom, I'd have to defer to the experienced voice you provide on the subject. Your advice is very solid and comes from a place of knowing. It seems weird that they would solicit advice from people who aren't even moms. It seems like an incredibly hard road to go down and I admire you for being a good mom and having proper perspective.
ReplyDelete