![]() |
| Photo Source |
I woke up
yesterday morning, like many of you, to the horrific news of the worst mass
shooting in the history of the United States. I was shocked. There still wasn’t
a lot of information available 24 hours ago—the suspect wasn’t even named at
that time—and as the boys woke up I quickly turned off the TV so that they
wouldn’t see what was currently going on in the world.
The last
thing I want is for my children to be afraid of going to the movies. The last
thing I want is to be afraid of going to the movies.
By yesterday
evening, with the approach of the national news I knew there would be no
avoiding it. I broached the subject with both of my sons, and Ant opted out of
watching any further news coverage—which was something that made me feel much
better, too. Kyle and I sat down to watch the reports—both of us looking for
some sense of understanding.
That’s normal,
you know. When we all are met with a circumstance we just cannot understand, we
search for some semblance of meaning. Why did it happen? How can it be avoided?
How can I make sure that my children or my loved ones, or even me—how can we
make sure that we’re never affected by something like this? We all search for
these answers. Sadly, those who live through these tragic encounters cannot
articulate how to live through something like this. Usually you hear these
witnesses or victims say things along the lines of “There are no words,” or “I
cannot really describe it,” or “I don’t know what really happened”. The experts
oftentimes cannot tell us—especially in a 90 second news story—why it happened.
It’s always more complex than that—which frustrates us, because we MUST
understand.
We must feel
safer, we must feel as if we are in control, we absolutely must avoid this occurring
to ourselves or the ones we care for; so when the true answers are not readily
available or easily packaged, we start jumping to little things that really
wouldn’t make a damn difference, but in the immediacy, make us feel better.
Case in
point: posting off duty police officers at movie theaters. That won’t work. If
someone is really dedicated to creating mass terror or harming many
individuals, one or two more will not matter to them. It is no deterrent. Making
people avoid costumes or masks—it may help people feel better in the short
term, but that’s not a solution, either.
Or talking
about gun control laws. We have gun control laws. We also have bans on most
assault rifles. The suspect was a law abiding citizen with no known previous history
of mental illness. He bought the guns
legally. Even if our nation just outright banned guns (and many of you may be
surprised that I am a NRA supporting uber-liberal—we’re a rare breed), he may
have selected another way to carry out a mass killing. The evidence of this
lies in the suspect’s apartment right now—rigged with IEDS and booby traps and who
knows what else.
In other
words, people usually will find a way, no matter the laws, bans, regulations,
or anything else.
People have
started blaming Obama (and Romney, to be fair) for not doing something more
about gun control. To which I ask, how much more can we actually do? Are we
going refuse guns to people who MIGHT become criminals? Or people who MIGHT
unhinge and become mentally unstable? Who’s going to be judging this for us? Who
can see the future? More gun controls aren’t really going to stop people who
want to shoot other people from buying guns.
But—and this
is where I get really ranty—the absolute worst thing I’ve seen in the news
coverage of this terrible event is those who are chastising and blaming the
parents who took their children to a midnight showing of a PG-13 movie with a
SUPERHERO IN IT.
Let me rant
on about this a bit more. When K was younger than two, I took him to the
midnight premiere of the X-Files movie. I loved the X-Files. I wanted to see
the movie. I dressed him in his jammies, and he slept on my chest the entire
time. My husband and I also used to go to the drive in—letting K sleep in the
back seat while we watched adult movies. Parents of young children do this all
the time. Also—I took my children to see the midnight premiere of Harry Potter.
They loved Harry Potter. They loved the excitement—even though Ant was still a
bit too young to really understand it. It was exciting and special and one of
my favorite family memories.
So why the
hell are we chastising a couple who took their children—with a four year old
daughter who loves Batman so much they have pictures of her wearing Batman
costumes—to see a movie they were excited to see from a franchise they loved?
Why are we not commending a woman who saved both of her young children herself—separated
from her boyfriend in the melee—and took a bullet to the leg as she made sure
her children made it out of the theater alive? No one believes that they run
the risk of being shot at in a movie theater. This woman is a damn hero.
So, if we
shouldn’t fixate on these little things—these things that aren’t really going
to help us understand, the things that aren’t- really going to help us avoid
these tragedies in the future—what should we focus our attention on? I’ll give
you my opinion: Mental health services.
When I found
out last night that he was a PhD student who dropped out of the program last month
millions of questions started racing through my mind. I advise PhD students.
What happened? Was it too much? Not what he wanted to do? Did he fail? Did he
not pass his qualifying exam? Was there an issue in his cohort of students? When
he dropped out, did his adviser counsel him? Did that person have a nagging
thought in the back of their mind asking if they should refer him to the school’s
counseling services? Did they waiver in walking him over? Did they try and he
refused? These are the things I think of—having advised students for years, and
after having been trained in mental health first aid.
You see, the
only way—in my mind—to avoid this sort of thing is to create a culture of
comfort in which a person who is experiencing mental health issues can go to someone,
anyone, and say, “I keep thinking about shooting people. I think I’m losing my
mind.” And then, the person who is told says, “Okay, we have someone to help
you with this.” If we had a culture of comfort in mental health services (and
adequate services to back up that comfort), I think many of these tragedies
could be avoided.
The issues
the suspect may have with his mental health are likely deep-seated and complex.
I’m not saying getting some meds and talking to someone once a week would have “fixed”
him. I am saying that if we lived in a culture where mental illness was not
stigmatized and individuals who start experiencing signs and symptoms knew
where to go to get help—perhaps we wouldn’t be living through mass shootings
that seem to be escalating in frequency and scale. So, let’s focus on something
that could actually help, instead of blaming the parents of young children or
yelling at one another about gun control. Let’s talk about making mental health—access
and accessibility-- a priority in this nation.
This way,
maybe we can all feel a bit safer in public spaces in the near future.

Love this post, couldn't agree with it more!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I just felt the need to spout off some of the things going on in my head this morning.
DeleteAbsolutely! Excellent post!
DeleteThank you. While I'm seeing that people on Facebook and Twitter do not all agree with me, mental health services for young adults and teens is something I feel very strongly about. And I hope that the least that can come from this is some civil discourse and discussion about real things that can be done.
Deleteas someone who suffers with mental illness, I just can't agree with you more. I was never an at risk teenager or twnetysomething for violence or suicide. But i was for drug and alcohol abuse. the ignorance of mental illness diagnosis and treatment is horrific in our country.
ReplyDeletewell written post, my friend..hugs