![]() |
| Photo Credit |
I woke up in
a full panic attack at two in the morning. I had a nightmare where I’ve
forgotten to turn in the project I’ve been working on this week at work—which is
due today—until five hours after the deadline and I am running… Running up the
quad in a mini skirt and my tennis shoes (thank goodness I have my tennis
shoes, but what the hell is up with the mini skirt I don’t even own?) but
cannot move. Also, there is some ambiguous guy who is directly in front of me,
blocking my path, but I cannot tell who it is—only that he wants to impede me. I’m
stuck in the quintessential high school nightmare: part motionless when trying
to run, part inappropriately dressed, part not remembering that today is the
test.
I wake up,
gasping for breath- my chest tight and my heart pounding- and tell myself over
and over again that today is the day that I have to turn this in, and I will
turn this in, and everything will be okay. I am having a panic attack that
started in my sleep—which is not an experience I would wish on anyone.
Panic
attacks are such assholes.
As my heart
finally slows and my breathing regulates, I realize that the left side of my
throat hurts, and badly so. I run through the list of scenarios in my mind that
could be causing the pain: strep throat, tonsillitis, cancer, I’ve eaten a
spider in my sleep, and in its last desperate attempt at life it bit me, and
now the poison is slowing working its way through my throat and will soon enter
the rest of my body and the doctors will not know how to save me because they
won’t see the spider’s bite, and OH. GOD. How do they x-ray your throat for a
spider bite? Can they pick that up on a MRI? They will have to drug me to get
into that oversized coffin. Did you ever see the X-Files (was it the X-Files?)
episode when the MRI machine starts attacking people with its magnetic
properties?
And then I
remembered the tortilla chip.
It was taco
night. Tortilla chips accompanied our dinner last night, and when eating one I
ended up laughing at something K said, and I’m fairly certain that I gouged my
throat on that tortilla chip and it’s only now starting to really bug me.
At this
point I knew that sleep would be inevitable unless I Googled if you can cut
your esophagus open on a tortilla chip and what would happen to you if you
could. FYI: apparently this is very freaking common and will now likely go on
my ever-increasing list of phobias. The good news is that most people live. Or
they just don’t report the ones who die from it, due to the embarrassment of it
all.
Also, I
wonder if there is a direct correlation between the occurrence of panic
disorders and being able to Google things.
At this
point I had been awake for over an hour (the project/throat combo panic attack
had taken thirty minutes of that time), and prior bouts of insomnia have taught
me that if I can’t convince myself to fall back asleep in the first twenty
minutes of waking up, I’m up for the long haul.
This, for
your information, is why many people with panic attacks or anxiety disorders do
not talk about the experiences they have with said panic attacks or anxiety
disorders. The reason for onset can be so trite as to be embarrassing. Also,
the physiological response is often completely beyond your control, and the
best thing you can do is know how to ride it out. Granted, I can share this
with you now, and my God, I hope you are laughing because the inner workings of
my mind are nothing if not humorous. I wouldn’t have been able to share this
with you three years ago, however. I want you to remember this when you deal
with others who have general anxiety or panic disorders; you can’t pick what
you’ll panic about and you can’t control what your body does during a panic
attack.
That, and
stay away from the freaking tortilla chips. They are out to get us!

I still have a recurring dream that I am in college and have forgotten about a class I registered for, and by the time I remember to go I already have an F. I also frequently cut my gums and the roof of my mouth on tortilla chips. Usually because I am shoveling them in too fast.
ReplyDeleteI've had that dream! I've dreamt that I forgot to take a class in college and I never really graduated, and the next thing I know, I'm flunking out of Biomedical Science 100. It never ceases to amaze me how many times my brain can rehash that one!
ReplyDelete