Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Influence of America’s Pastime

I try to keep my nerdiness at bay on this blog—not because I’m embarrassed of my nerdiness, but for your own protection. My nerdiness is a spectacular permeation that can infiltrate those around me like a zombie apocalypse virus. Case in point:

I am a nerd at work: I get excited about survey results and students with revise and resubmits and making PowerPoints for conference panels (I can hear you yawning as I type). I am a nerd at home: with my crafting and my penchant for graphic novels and love of zombies and what they say about our culture (the working man’s horror monster, am I right?).

Tangent—have you seen the Missouri Department of Conservation Zombie/Invasive Species warning? You should check it out. They reminded me of the fact that we need to avoid cauliflower fields near harvest time.  Cauliflower—looks like brains—zombie attractant. Thank you, Dept. of Conservation!

I am a nerd on the internet. I am a nerd in public. I love my nerdiness, but I limit it. To protect you. Someone has to be the cool kids.

Baseball, however, is my one saving grace. The cool kids watch baseball, and MLB is the only professional sport I enjoy. They may make millions, but they are playing a gentleman’s sport. There is a level of intelligence, skill, and perseverance that I just don’t see in other sports. I love college football, and many other non-professional level sports, but when it comes to the professionals, baseball has my heart. And the St. Louis Cardinals, oh! I love watching Pulhols (who, despite his free agent status, refuses, even today, to discuss his plans for the future because he will dedicate himself fully to the team he’s with right now) and Molina (who may run the bases slower than most, but always seem to be quick enough to be right smack in the middle of big plays and celebrations) and Freese (the hometown boy who went to high school—and it is very important where you went to high school in St. Louis—in the district next to where we used to live, and then became the Series MVP for the team he rooted for as a child).

Okay, maybe baseball is not the one thing that saves me from my nerdiness. Perhaps I approach my love of baseball in the same way as I approach my obsession with excel spreadsheets.

All of this to say we watch a lot of baseball in our house. This is the scenic way of saying that my children watch a lot of baseball during the season. Staying up to 11:00pm on a Friday night to watch Game 7 of the World Series was a given in our household. They didn’t even have to ask. They were decked out in red, with Ant squeezing into his Molina jersey that he outgrew last summer (catchers have to stick together). I know my children are not the only children watching, which is why I am so upset by the way Elvis Andrus of the Texas Rangers acted last night, in game seven, when he struck out.

He threw a fit that would make any overtired, raging toddler proud. He hit the ground with his bat. He yelled. He took off his batting helmet and threw it. It was ridiculous.

Yes, stakes are high in the World Series. Yes, it sucks when you know you are a good hitter, and you strike out at a crucial time. I get it; Andrus was upset. But is this any way to act when millions of people are watching you? You are paid to be a professional, and I, at least, expect you to act like a professional. None of us could get away with acting like that act work.

And what about sportsmanship? What does his fit teach our little leaguers and softball players?

Baseball is America’s pastime for a reason. Teamwork, sportsmanship, sticking to it, trying your best, celebrating with one’s team when you win and comforting one another in defeat—these are the things that we want to teach our children; these are values that we want to uphold as Americans. These are good qualities to possess as human beings, and this is part of the reason why we hold professional athletes to such high standards.

As a Cardinal’s fan, I know that I’m biased against Andrus, and I will openly admit that. Yet, I can easily concede that Texas is a fantastic team—they played well all year long, and the year before that. It was almost a given that the Rangers would be in the World Series. Their success this year has been somewhat eclipsed by the underdog, come-back-against-all-odds story of the Cardinals, and that stinks.

Yet…when you are in the position of role model, when you are national TV, when you are paid a huge salary to play a professional sport, I expect you to act like an adult. Andrus set a bad example in his reaction last night, and I wonder what impact it could have on younger viewers who watched the game. Should he apologize? Should something be said? And do YOU think that professional sports teams influence children in a manner that demands we hold them to higher standards in conduct?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...