One of the things that I have been working on for the past year (Year? Really?) is doing a bit more for me. You know, trying to be a healthier person, all the way around.
Maybe eating green things. Dammit, I really hate eating green things.
Or maybe exercising. Which I am morally opposed to.
Taking the time to do things I enjoy—reading, getting a pedicure, or playing silly games with the boys. This used to make me feel guilty. Have you ever seen my laundry situation, people?
One of the things that have really weighed heavily on me (literally) is that I want to lose weight. I don’t want to weigh what I did in high school – that was crazily unhealthy—but getting back down to what I was in college would be great. It would be more than great. It would be perfect; ideal, some might say.
But, as I’ve mentioned above, I hate vegetables and aerobics classes and I think that ‘low fat’ is gimmicky hype. So, that presents a problem. How should I go about this, and in fine Sarah fashion, no less?
For the past several years I did not give much thought to this—no time. I had a commute and a job and two young kids and a husband who worked longer hours than I did and a mortgage I couldn’t pay and all the rest.
So I needed to give it some thought. I gave it a lot of thought. I thought about: Joining a gym and getting a personal trainer, and joining Weight Watchers and taking a Zumba class (what is that all about, anyways?) and the list goes on and on. Wanna know where all that thinking got me?
Craving a Dairy Queen Blizzard. I tend to crave ice cream even when I think about someone who might possibly want to tell me what to do.
So I tried another approach. When I was in college, what was I doing that made me happy and healthy? I took dance classes, because I love dance, even though I am not that good at it, and have no aspirations to be a prima ballerina. I was cooking a lot because I was learning to cook. I was engaged in a lot of fun activities that kept me off the couch and away from the TV and snacks.
Those things—going back to dance, cooking more often, and being cognizant of what I am eating, going out and doing things with friends and family—THAT is much more my style.
I did add in one thing: Setting goals and tracking my progress towards those goals on a website.
I am happy to report that in the past three weeks, I have lost 6 pounds, which is double the amount I was shooting for! I would like to make it ten before the new academic year begins. Then I would like to make it 25 before Christmas!
I know that this approach would not work for everyone—some people really want the support of a trainer or a Weight Watchers meeting, and more power to you. Some people want a plan that is laid out for them, and I get that too. Maybe you like getting up at the crack of dawn and running. I think you’re a touch on the crazy side, but I am happy for you.
However, if you listen to all of the hype, the hype says you have to consider losing weight and exercising as a lifestyle change. That’s great and all, but doesn’t LIFESTYLE connote more than just food and exercise? Better yet, for some of us, doesn’t it make more sense to look at the lifestyle more and the food and exercise less?
I aim to find out, and perhaps, keep you posted!
Good for you!!
ReplyDeleteFor me, losing weight, eating healthy, exercising, etc. are all part of self-care. Something I have always struggled with .. I am most comfortable at the bottom of the totem pole. Putting my needs near the top of the list feels really alien to me. But once that switch flipped- once I decided that being unhealthy with food and weight was part of my self-sabotage - once I identified it for what it was, then I could do something about it.
It sounds like that's what you just did! Good luck! Keep us posted!
-Ellie