This is the first place where my husband and I have had cable in our house. It is exotic. I can watch reruns of shows I never got into. I can irritate my children with videos from the 1990s on VH1. I can get movies On Demand, and promptly fall asleep during half of them.
I was never a big fan of TV before, and I can’t say that I am the biggest fan now, either. What I can say is that I love curling up on the couch after the kids go to bed, with my hubby, and participating in some mindless entertainment!
Here’s our schedule:
Monday night-
No Reservations, Weeds, and the Big C. In fact, I am increasingly in love with Showtime.
Tuesday night-
Rescue Me (when it’s on). Ever read Denis Leary’s book, “Why We Suck”? If not, I suggest you do it—I read almost all of it aloud to J, and we laughed our butts off. Because, you know, your kids aren’t cute.
Wednesday night-
Ghosthunters. Yes, I’m being serious. They go to cool places. They are normal people. They don’t act like freaks and they don’t piss me off. Plus, Steve’s fear of everything not paranormal makes me giggle.
Thursday nights-
Supernatural and then the Marriage Ref. Okay, so Supernatural is more of a J thing, but Sam is cute and I like the discussions we have about religion (mainly me describing the apocrypha and the beliefs under which I was raised, much to J’s chagrin).
Friday-Sunday? Yeah, there’s only so much TV I can handle. These night are mostly off limits.
Stewart and Colbert? Any time that they are on the TV and we are on the couch!
So yes, I know that I should be participating in something more productive during these hours—writing the great American novel, cleaning the bathrooms, exercising an hour each day (well, I’ve been doing pretty well on 30 minutes a day, so I’m not killing myself over this)—but one of my favorite things is the fact that I now have free time to devote to frivolous entertainment!
Once the newness wears off, or the children start imitating me, maybe then I’ll do something productive. We’ll see…
No comments:
Post a Comment